Sunday, January 23, 2011

Recommendations

My favorite guy


Jarvis' Sunday Service

This is the sort of sweetly generic mellow song that reminds me of dust motes and looking through heavy-papered magazines and National Geographics from the 70s on my grandmother's living room floor.



This week's broadcast reminds me - what the hell am I missing about Scott Walker? He has a great voice but it has a sort of absurd-sounding pitch sometimes, although a lot of great voices do. Tim Buckley? Or like the first time someone does a Morrissey impression for you in Marvin the Martian's voice and you realize there is actually no fucking difference between the two.

Actually, that's a whole thing for me. I always hear about artists first and then once I hear their voices, I am often disappointed. I would never admit it in mixed company (cred), but that's how I felt about Billie Holiday. I can say that now because I got over it and loved her and usually my favorite things/people are ones that I did not like at first. They prove you wrong and suddenly you find that you are fixated with something really foreign, which is brutal/incredible.

I love the way he writes. Unsentimental but still pretty in its perfect word choice, not just because it reads well but because it imparts perfect imagery, vivid but blurry and half his, and half yours.



"Let the anxious contract you’ve unwittingly written evolve slowly and uncomfortably into a relationship."

No comments: