Saturday, January 8, 2011

7th St & Awful

My grandparents lived in about 7 homes in the north central and central Phoenix area in the 50s and 60s. They started in a very modest three bedroom home facing 16th street and this monstrosity is where he ended up, having also traded my grandmother in some years before. I had neither seen nor heard of this thing before. He died just before the house was finished.



A Grecian-inspired pink stucco eyesore, really an abomination when you see it in person. It's located in a very genteel and snooty neighborhood of austere ranch styles which stretch endlessly upon perfect acres of lawn. I am sure the current neighbors hate it as much as the originals must have.

2 comments:

theselvedgeyard said...

It has a certain '60s mediterranean/industrial cheesy charm.

B said...

Yes. There is a greasy self-important charm, I will admit. Maybe I should knock on the door and ask to see the inside.