Friday, January 22, 2010

I enjoy that high winds and a full day of steady rain = STATE OF EMERGENCY!!!! in Arizona. Again, I am disappointed in how put out I am by weather, but I lost power at 8:30 which more or less ended my night, abbreviating the already extremely limited personal time I have in life!

I tried to imagine what it was like without electricity, when nightfall meant wrap it up and get to bed, not get dressed up and go carousing. It is interesting how bright the night is even with no electric lights burning for a mile. Even brighter with clouds, which seem to conduct the light of the moon all through them so they sort of glow. Was that a no-brainer? I'm sorry, I have been in the center of a 500 square mile megalometropolis for the last 20 years. I don't know what things actually look like! Losing power is kind of a peaceful, strange, fascinating experience, but I have to admit that I'd rather be showering when I want to and watching the Tudors.

Cindy McCain! Scary wife of John McCain comes out for the gays. Article. Unusual for a republican to give a shit about civil rights, but then I guess almost anyone can admit (when there's nothing to be gained by placating hysterical religious people) that taxpaying citizens should be able to submit to the same absurd rituals as everyone else if they want to. I wish I could remember Bill Maher's remark on gay marriage, which basically consisted of, "If they want to be miserable, let them!"

And that's how I feel about that.

No comments: