Thursday, July 1, 2010

now you know that it can't be


Remember "Said Sadly," that duet between James Iha and Nina Gordon that appeared on the Bullet with Butterfly Wings b-side in '94 or whatever?

The summer I bought that b-side, there was an epic late night monsoon storm that caused a multi-hour power outage. I sat alone in my bedroom burning candles and listening to music, dripping red wax droplets onto cd cases. Not a particularly flashy memory, but sometimes I think of that night and moment, and I don't know why.

When I went through the mandatory young girl phase of putting shit on school folders, it was photos of James Iha from music magazines circa 1995. Things could've been worse. Although people did think I was gay and really into the other girl from Smashing Pumpkins.


Speaking of '90s nostalger, I discovered this blog and tumblr today:

http://90swoman.wordpress.com/

http://thereal1990s.tumblr.com/

"fuck yeah," as the tumblrs say. I love the discourse. The DEBATE about whether nostalgia lists are a valid form of art or social memory was particularly entertaining for me. I want to go back.

2 comments:

M. Castawave said...

I just listened to this yesterday on an old tape, at my job working with kids. I failed to explain the significance of the Smashing Pumpkins to a 12 year old girl. This is still so good!

B said...

The Smashing Pumpkins ARE so significant when you're 12 and a girl. Yeah, I love this song.