Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesday mammmmaries.

Today I heard Janis Joplin's Piece of my Heart for the first time in what felt like years. It brought that strange rush of excitement that comes from a truly good song that sort of meshes with or explains the human condition. I remembered one Saturday night spent alone at my dad's house. I was old enough to be alone while he was out, but young enough that I felt shocked and furtive when I discovered the Big Brother & the Holding Company lp in his collection. He must have just found it or re-bought it, because I had never noticed it before in my routine inspections of his stuff when he wasn't around. For some reason, I didn't want him to know that I had found it.


I guess I was a sheltered child, because I was totally blown away by Crumb's art, though I think I had seen stray cartoons here and there in old backissues of Easyriders left lying around the garage. I listened to the album and could not believe how incredible it was. Thanks to one of my mother's boyfriends, I started listening to Hendrix and the Doors and Steppenwolf towards the end of my elementary school years, about 11 or 12, so I instantly fell for Janis without really knowing what to do with her. She challenged my perceptions of "big" women, or I guess any woman. Not prissypretty or pretending coyness and, most shocking of all, not appearing to give a single fuck about it.



Everything about him was sweet and charming and gilded. Holy shit I love that video so much.

I haven't been able to fall asleep til way past my usual bed time lately. Giving me problems. I don't seem to be doing anything useful with this extra time. Except ~blogging~

3 comments:

skinnyGLASSESgirl said...

I keep waking up way b4 I am supposed to-ugh. I have that LP! Does your Dad still have those old Easyriders?

boudledidge said...

i don't know...i should ask him. i started googling vintage issues of them, might have to get a few of them.

skinnyGLASSESgirl said...

yes..the pics inside are SO rad... good job on the stitch work above-i bought stuff to do that but have been too lazy to even start UGH!