Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What in the.


Well! I was reading through an old journal I kept and found a quiz I took for fun regarding what kind of housewife I would have made in the 30s.

Three years ago, I was called a failure. My old score:

16

As a 1930s wife, I am
Very Poor (Failure)

Take the test!


I took the test again, SURE that I would improve on my prior score. I can cook many dishes now - successfully! I sew - kind of! I keep plants around - and many of them survive! I actually can't think of anything else at the moment, but surely there are things. Can I put them to use? Let's see the new score.



3

As a 1930s wife, I am
Very Poor (Failure)

Take the test!


APPARENTLY NOT.

Worse?! A score so low it has almost skidded off the bottom of the chart. Like I said last time - I thought it was going so well. I can't decide where I went wrong. I was just trying to be honest. I said that, yes, I do fix healthy meals, but I also sulk and complain sometimes. Full disclosure up in here! Yes, I do have interests and personal activities, but I do sometimes wear red nail polish (this is a flag). I, apparently, don't have sense enough to wipe off the cap of a milk jug before opening it. Evidently, this was a thing. Does it matter that I don't drink milk? No. I would probably lose my last three points for that anyway.

I think these rules are rather stringent for a depression-era woman. Weren't there better things to bitch about than crooked seams or mealy cornbread? According to my grandma, who was of marriageable age in the 30s (but only if you lived in Alabama), wearing clean clothes and bathing daily was essentially all you had to do to keep up your part of the bargain as a respectable woman and member of society. Anything beyond that just amounted to personal preference. I can proudly say that I measure up to her strict guidelines of ladyhood, almost all of the time.

No comments: