Sunday, September 29, 2013




Weirdest weekend.

My mom asked me to attend a funeral with her.  He was a high school friend of hers and someone I had never met.  Normally I wouldn't have gone, but knowing that she knew that and asked me anyway, I figured it was important to her.  Observing the funeral of someone you never knew is strange, awkward.  I felt like a spectator.  Still, it was somehow moving in a way I didn't expect, and I felt that I sort of knew some of the people there.  Not that I thought that I had met them, but in that their lives were parallel to mine in some way.  This guy grew up where my mother did, his children are my age, and his story was both familiar and fascinating.  I felt affected by it in a way that I couldn't explain, and was moody and contemplative for the rest of the day.

Or more than usual.

No comments: