Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Ghost Lady #2

I've been haunted by something I saw 15 years ago.  Later it was so unimaginable that I wondered if I had seen a spirit or a vision through a tear in time.

I just found the Livejournal post I made that night, in 2002.

prostitute wraith gliding slowly down the dogfood aisle at 7 pm. her hair looks like fabric batting, white, huge, piled high. her eyes are open wide and stare ahead like lisa marie's in mars attacks. gigantic fake lashes, badly drawn lips. she doesn't seem to be "here". pushing a cart, black tank top and tan miniskirt over torn sheer black stockings. heels. she passes dumbly, as though she's in a coma.

I can barely remember it now, relying more on the thing I wrote and the things I said in the intervening years, but I recall that she didn't look at me even though I stared at her, dumbfounded, as we slowly passed each other.  She walked like she was drugged, dreamily gliding through a grocery store on the corner of 19th Avenue and Glendale in Phoenix.

Was she on drugs?  Was she a ghost?  I'll never know.  I was freshly 20 years old and watching everyone, more interested in other people than I can even conceive of now.

No comments: